Praising & Worshipping God





The Book, “Holy Roar” 

I recently bought and read a book entitled, “Holy Roar: 7 Words That Will Change The Way You Worship,” written by Darren Whitehead and Chris Tomlin, and it was such a good read.

Holy Roar explores seven Hebrew words that denote praise to God. As it says on the Holy Roar website , “In the ancient world something extraordinary happened when God’s people gathered to worship him. It was more than just singing; it was a declaration, a proclamation, a time to fully embody praise to God for who he is, and what he has done. In fact, in the Psalms, there are seven Hebrew words that are translated into the English word “praise,” each of which represents a different aspect of what it means to truly praise God.”

As you read through each Hebrew word and its meaning, something begins to happen on the inside of you when it comes to praising God. So often I find that in our local churches when people praise the Lord it’s mostly a hand clap or singing with hands raised, but praise goes a bit deeper. It starts in the heart. It comes from a place of knowing that God is good. Not just mentally knowing God is good, but out of experience. Praising God because He’s good, because He’s in complete control, because there’s none like Him, because He’s Sovereign, because He loves us unconditionally no matter what, and because He is the King of Kings and Lord of Lords.

Going Beyond In Our Praise & Worship

David, in the Bible is an excellent example of praising God, and he gives us a great picture of truly praising and worshipping God, rather it looks pretty to others or not. 

In second Samuel chapter six, after bringing the ark to the tabernacle, David was praising the Lord and dancing about. In verse 22 (NIT) he says, “I will become even more undignified than this, and I will be humiliated in my own eyes.” 

In this passage we see how it’s a beautiful thing to just be free and praise God, not caring what other people think or how you look. When you’re really and truly praising and worshipping God your focus, heart and eyes are on Him and Him alone. 

John wrote in John 4:24, “God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.” 

I wanted to use this scripture to paint a picture of getting past the surface when we worship Him. Getting beyond just standing there with hands raised, eyes closed, and the praises of God on your lips - Hallelujah, Thank You Jesus, or Lord You're Worthy. Getting to that place where you truly enter the Holy of Holies; where you touch God, where you completely forget about yourself and what's going on in your life; when you worship simply because He's a good good Father and He loves you. To that place where you allow His Spirit to take over. To that place where you're overwhelmed and grateful to God for His goodness and for His grace. 

Here are lyrics to a beautiful song, I wanna share with you, entitled, "Place of Worship" by William McDowell:

“I sing to You, I dance with You,
I cry before You, here in this place.
I give my all, just to behold
Just to be near, here in this place.

Just You and me, everything's so clear.
Now I am free, just You and me.
Don't care who sees, I don't care who hears,
Oh, how I love this place of worship.
(Oh God, I long to be with You.
More than anything, Lord.)

Oh, how I love this place with You.
(Where I am) Free to dance with You, free to sing to You
Free to hear from You. When I'm with You I am…”


It's such a privilege to praise and worship the God of our salvation. To raise our hands, to dance, and to sing praises to God. To Reverence Him. To Honor Him. To Adore Him. To Worship Him in Spirit and in Truth, because He's Good, Good, Good. 



Disclaimer:


Comments

Popular Posts