We Don't Have To Dread Valentine's Day

It’s Valentine’s Day. The day of love, flowers, chocolate, and the color red.

Why is it that Valentine’s Day can be a struggle for some of us who are single out there? I do get it, but it doesn’t have to be a struggle. And sure, it’s a “special” day, perhaps, where you express love, and culturally, it’s mostly focused on couples, instead of showing love to people in general.

I totally get why some dread Valentine’s Day. I’ve even found myself there as well, but honestly I’ve been too busy to think much about it this year. It just hit me the other day that it was even coming up. I had kinda forgotten honestly.

For me, aside from being busy, I find that these days, having goals, striving to blossom and seize the time God has given you in this season of life leaves no room to be depressed or completely out of sorts around this time of the year. Yes, many of your friends, family, co-workers, and random strangers may have that special someone, but having a special someone isn’t why you were created. We shouldn't be living for marriage. Yes, it’s a good, God given desire, but there are other things that are more important.

In the words of Jalen and Cacie Barnes, “find your single flow,” and just be busy about your Father’s business, and serving others, even on Valentine’s Day.

To clarify, I am not negating the desire for marriage, nor the struggles that are very real. I’m also not, at all, saying that I don’t have my moments when I wish I was a wife and had a husband. I do. Recently, I've been thinking about it a lot. I get it.

If you need to cry, do it. Let it out, it’s okay. Or if you need to talk to someone, do it. Be encouraged and remember that you’re a King’s kid, and His valued vessel. He sees you and knows the desire of your heart. He knows.

I myself really really want to get married, sooner than later, hopefully, but right now I have family and amazing friends that I can shower love on, and I can be available to share God’s unconditional love with those who’ve never experienced it. Plus, I trust that God knows. He really does know my desire, my heart, and He knows what I need and when the best time is to enter into the stage of life that will bring courtship and marriage. His timing is the best.

I affirm and acknowledge that it’s a normal desire to be joined with another in holy matrimony, but it’s important to really understand and grasp the fact that your identity doesn’t come from the title of being a wife, or husband, and that life somehow isn’t complete yet, but realize that you are here for God, and that there are people around you that need you to share with them all the love you have to give. Focusing on the One who is love, and also putting others before ourselves, will put so much into perspective.

Our priorities and mindset often need to be challenged. Changing our thinking, and re-focusing our attention on what matters - ultimately, our relationship with God, then building His kingdom, and finding ourselves in the center of His will for our lives.

Additionally, I would say that it’s so much more important to be satisfied in Christ, stable in His love for you and pursue intimacy with Him, before God sends you the person you are to marry. I’ve learned recently that the most important thing ever, even before sharing the gospel, is intimacy with God. That trumps everything else.

I want to appeal to all people, and implore you to intentionally celebrate Valentine’s Day this year by expressing God’s love - to strangers, family, friends, etc.

Don’t feel like you have to observe the day by being around tons of people. Just spend time with the One who loves you more than anyone else ever could - Your Lord and Savior.

Happy Valentine’s Day Everyone, and Remember To Love Your Savior and Others Around You! You Don’t Have To Struggle. Focus On Our Amazing God And Pursue Him!

Comments

Popular Posts