Isaiah 53 - The Day It Hit Home For Me




When I was twelve years old I started taking violin lessons.

One day I got to class early, and as I waited for class time I read Isaiah 53 in its entirety. It was a chapter I’ve heard over and over. Verses three through seven were the main verses in the passage that always stand out.

3 He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not. 

4 Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted. 

5 But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed. 

6 All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the Lord hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.

7 He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth : he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth. 

I never really understood what these verses were talking about until I read it that day. It was as if these verses came alive to me, and by the Spirit of God, I understood. A revelation came in that moment and I understood that it was Jesus. I sat there in tears, visualizing what Jesus went through so we could have salvation and be connected back to the Father. I was overwhelmed with emotion and such gratitude.

It’s not that I didn’t know, but there was such a deeper reality, and I couldn’t believe that Jesus really endured all that. Oh what love.

“He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth.” 

Think about a lamb who is going to be slaughtered. A lamb whose fleece will be cut. Wouldn’t there be a bit of a struggle or push back?

Jesus didn’t resist or push back, He willingly gave His life. He stood in our place and lovingly endured for you and me.

Philippians 2:8 reads,” And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross."

On that day, Isaiah fifty-three hit home for me. It felt like the first time. Like it was something I had never heard before. Every time I read these verses I have a fresh, new gratitude and appreciation for what Jesus did on calvary.

Yes, they killed him, they spat on Him, they whipped Him, they wounded Him; they crucified Him on a cross, and they buried His body in a tomb. Yes it happened, but He didn’t stay in the grave. After three days He rose again with all power in His hand.

Because of Christ we can be free. Because of Christ we have a way back to the Father.

Praise God for what He went through, and how He paid it all on the cross.

Remind yourself of the great love that God demonstrated towards us, and reflect on His sacrifice this week. Reflect back on your personal testimony. Reflect back to when God was drawing you and you realized that you were unconditionally loved by the Creator of the universe.


Reflect, Be Grateful, And Share It With Those Around You. 
Have A Blessed Week, And Never Forget What Jesus Did.


*photos are not mine*

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts